Share This Page
Just thought I's let you know, I have been looking for a job for almost a year now, Got your CV last week, sent it out Sunday, invited to interview on Monday, today, given a starting date at my new job!!! You are good!!! Thanks a lot!!! M. Krawczyk
Free CV Review
Send your CV using the box below for a free review
Contact Our Team Today
Monday to Thursday 9am to 8pm
Friday 9am to 5pm
Saturday 10am to 2pm
Career Profiles Database
WoWMyCV(UK) would like to inform all our site visitors and customers that our Career Profiles Database is a research tool for you to use to investigate your potential Career Options, WoWMyCV(UK) is NOT a Recruitment Agency and the details contained in our Career Profiles Database should NOT be read/treated as Job Advertisements.
Steel Fixer (CV)
Steel fixers position and secure the steel bars and mesh used to reinforce concrete on construction and engineering schemes. They work on a wide variety of jobs including commercial and industrial development, multi-storey housing and civil engineering projects, such as roadworks, tunnels and bridges.
Following engineering plans, steel fixers:
- set out the work area
- use hand and power tools to cut and bend bars or mesh
- tie rebar (reinforcement bars) together with wire, clips or welds to build up cages or sections
- insert spacers and ‘chairs’ (supports)
- fix the formwork and shuttering used to hold setting concrete in place
- join cages and sections
- fix steel to concrete bases
- install beams and pre-cast slabs.
Steel fixers may also be involved with pre-stressing, post-stressing and tensioning materials, using hydraulic jacks and tensioning mechanisms.
Steel fixers work closely with engineering designers, steel erectors and other construction tradespeople.
Hours and Environment
Skills and Interests
To be a steel fixer, you should:
- be able to follow instructions and plans accurately
- have an aptitude for practical work
- be comfortable working at heights or underground if required
- be able to work as part of a team
- be physically fit
- be fully aware of health and safety issues.
There are no set entry requirements for this type of work, but you may need some GCSEs (A-E)/S grades (1-5) in maths, English, science and technology, or equivalent vocational qualifications in construction or engineering.
A common route for young people is to train as an apprentice. Most apprentices start at 16 to 19, but entry may be possible up to 24. See Training section for contacts.
For more information about steel erecting as a career, contact ConstructionSkills or the Engineering Construction Industry Training Board (ECITB) in Further Information.
- cutting and shaping steel
- installing in-situ and/or prefabricated steel
- using power tools
- operating powered access equipment
- transferring loads
- safe working practices.
- NVQ in Steelfixing Occupations Level 2
- NVQ in Constructional Steelwork Site Operations Level 2 (two pathways: Erecting
- Structural Steelwork and Installing Metal Floor Decking)
- NVQ in Constructing Capital Plant Steel Structures (Erecting) Level 3.
Employment opportunities follow trends in the construction industry and are currently good. Most steel fixers work on a sub-contract basis for steel fixing and erection firms. With experience, progression to supervisory positions is possible.
Figures are intended as a guideline only.
Starting salaries are between £12,000 and £16,000 a year.
Average salaries for experienced steel fixers are between £17,000 and £22,000 a year.
Salaries for operatives with additional responsibilities can go up to £27,000.
Further Help and Advice
WoWMyCV(UK) can offer further help and advice on any Career path held in our Career Profiles Database, our help and advice centres on Preparing a CV, Interview Techniques and Suitability for a specific Career if you need any further help please feel free to call us on 01603 471-028 or drop us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org where a member of our expert team will be on hand to help.
Don't forget about our FREE CV Review Service, any visitor to the WoWMyCV(UK) website can claim their 100% FREE CV Review in two easy steps, Click Here for further information
The information contained in our Career Profiles Database was correct at time of publishing, but since publication certain details may have changed so please use this section as a research tool and in some cases further research may be required.